Dressed herring - it is a layered salad from herring and vegetables. This salad is very popular in the countries of the former USSR (Russia, Belarus, Ukraine). It became a traditional New Year dish in the middle 70th of the XX century.
According to herring under a fur coat recipe this salad is made in the next way. We put a layer of herring pieces on the flat plate and cover with layers of boiled potato, carrot, red beet. There also could be added layers of chopped onion and green apples. It is advisable to make a top layer of beet. In some recipes of russian herring salad you can find the advice to add mayo between layers and to cover the salad. We prefer to add it only on the top.
The salad is served with greens or seasoned boiled eggs.
There is a vegetarian version of a herring russian beet salad. In this case herring is replaced with seaweed, instead eggs are used avocado or tofu. Mayo in this salad is replaced with another white dressing without animal-origin ingredients.
It is believed that salads with herring and vegetables were popular in German and Scandinavian (Nordic) cuisines in the first part of the XIX century. In old English cookery books we can meet recipes of the Swedish herring salad with herring, red beet, potato, pickles, seasoned apple and chopped boiled eggs. Old Norwegian recipes advised us to cook this salad with layers without mixing ingredients.
In the 60th years of the XIX century mayo became a primary dressing for herring under a fur coat salad.
INGREDIENTS FOR DRESSED HERRING:
1. Boil unpeeled beets, carrots and potatoes. Beets for 1-1,5 hour (depends on size and ыщке), potatoes and carrots for 40 minutes.
2. Pell all the vegetables and dice them into separate bowls.
3. Pell 1 onion and chop it. Add some vinegar if you use yellow onion to decrease its spicy taste.
4. Put the first layer of potatoes.
5. Cover potatoes with chopped onion and herring (in traditional recipe the first layer is made of herring, but we prefer to use potatoes).
6. Put the next layer of carrot and above it the last layer of red beet.
7. Pour Russian dressed herring salad with mayo and season with greens or chopped boiled eggs.
8. Put your salad into a cold storage for 2-3 hours.
You Might Also Like