Sauerkraut is one of the most well-known lacto-fermented vegetable. It can be made in a number of ways. Every national cuisine, where it is made, has its own methods. Even every cook has its own methods and adds fovourite ingridients, but there are a few common.
Haks for making the best Sauerkraut
- Use only fresh vegetables. Better to take them from your own garden or from farmers.
- Use some salt - it provides long-term saving of your product.
- Create good environment. Temperature and conditions for keeping.
- Wait. Give your sauerkraut lower temperature and longer time for fermentation.
- It is recommended to ferment it for 2 weeks.
- Our ancestors followed lunar calendar for sauerkraut fermentation. They made it in crescent moon periods. Also they adviced to make it on: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.
This is a traditional slavic recipe: Sauerkraut with carrot and caraway.
1 Medium Head of Cabbage
1 Medium carrot
1-3 Tbsp. table spoon salt
1 Tbsp. caraway
- Try to clean yout cabbage and delete dark and flaccid leaves.
- Thinly chop your cabbage with knife or grater. You may take small one or big - like farmers use (I remember it from my childhood, saw it at my granny).
- Do not forget to delete cabbage stalk - we do not need it.
- Repeat it with carrot.
- Add salt.
- Knead the cabbage with hands until there is enough liquid to cover it.
- Mix cabbage with carrot and continue kneading.
- Add caraway (if you wish).
- Put the cabbage into a jar, pressing it with wooden PICKLE PACKER under the liquid.
- Add water, if necessary, to cover cabbage.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid.
- Keep at recommended temperature (60-70 F, 15-21 C) for 2 weeks in dark place! (it will be ready even in 3-4 days, you may taste it daily and decide, which taste you like more and move SC to cold place). Do not forget to release pressure every day, if use a tight lid. Just oprn and close. As for me, I prefer to eat it fot the 3d day.
- Wnen the sauerkraut is made, put a tight lid on the jar and move it to cold storage.
Enjoy your meal!