We present a traditional recipe of russian borscht - soup with meat and vegetables. In Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland and other slavic countries this soup is served regularly.
Traditional russian borscht has its own recipe and consists of: white cabbage, beets, potato, onion, carrot and meat. Of course, every national cuisine has its own recipe with additional ingredients: mushrooms, sweet pepper, beans.
There are some variants in kinds of meat. One prefers to cook it with beef, the other with chicken or rabbit. Once I tasted borscht with pork - it was also delicious. As we know, the classic variant is a borscht with bones of beef or pork - they should be with meat.
Canned beats is it ok?
If you have no fresh beets you may use canned - it is not a problem, of course. In some way it is not correct if we are speaking about authentic russian borscht soup recipe. On the other hans we know that sometimes it is not so easy to find correct ingredients.
2.Keep your meat boiling 2-3 hours, deleting scum and fat that rises to the top (if you use precooked soup stock just boil it up).
3. Prepare vegetables - add sliced cabbage and potato. Potato should be diced. Boil for 20-25 minutes.
4. Prepare carrot and onion - clean them and cut or grate.
5. Add to a skillet 2 Tbsp butter and saute your onion 3 minutes on medium heat, add your carrot and a little bit of oil, cook about 5-6 minutes adding oil if necessary.
6. Add cooked vegetables to your soup.
7. Take beets and grate them and put to the skillet - do not forget to add lemon juice or vinegar - 1Tbsp to beet-roots while cooking them - it gives a deep red colour and 1 TBsp of sugar.
8. Chop fresh tomatoes and add them to the skillet with beets, add one bailer of soup stock, turn heat down to low and cook for about 5 minutes.
9. Add your vegetables to the pot, add salt, pepper, bay leaves.
10. Serve your borscht with sour cream.